Home » , » Gimme Shelter

Gimme Shelter

The dearth of American shelter magazines has forced me to buy from abroad...ok, no one was pointing a gun at my head but I do get withdrawal symptoms if I don't have something new to flip through, so today I picked up the September 2008 issue of Maison Française. I wasn't even convinced I was going to fork over $9.25 for it until I saw the photo above. I'm a total sucker for interesting interiors with fabulous art. It's not my usual design aesthetic but I love all the interesting shapes and mix of furniture. Turns out the owner is William Sawaya, the co-principal of Sawaya & Moroni, a Milanese design and furniture company. The company produces his own designs which make up a lot of the apartment as well as works by Zaha Hadid and others.

The chair above is the Maxima chair that William Sawaya designed in 2002. I love it's sculptural look and as an Aries, there is something about it that reminds me of a ram. A light by Toshiyuki Kita sits a top a table by Christian Ghion. The painting is by Luciano Bartolini.

I thought the living room looked familiar and then I realized that it is featured in the November 2008 issue of Metropolitan Home! I have to say that it looks better in Maison Francaise which could be do to the photographer or styling. There are no accessories on the table in the Metropolitan Home spread. The sofas are Happy by Paolo Moroni while the Flo tables and Maxima chairs were designed by Sawaya.

The painting above is by Richard Texier and the low benches were designed by Matt Sindall.

I'm not a huge fan of Zaha Hadid, although this weekend I am going to see the Chanel Contemporary Art Container that she designed, but the Moraine sofa above is growing on me. I think it has to do with the fact that it looks upholstered and most of the pieces of hers that I have seen have been slick and cold looking while this one has more warmth. She also designed the Vortexx chandelier which I could live without. The table is vintage from the 1950's and I think the chairs were designed by Gio Ponti. My French is a little rusty so translating the article has been tricky!

Another view of the Zaha Hadid sofa in front of a Sabhan Adam painting and recycled plastic stacking chairs by Sawaya.

The Liorah bed, Maxima chair, and "Blue Velvet" tufted ottoman were all designed by Sawaya. The side tables are by Christian Ghion. Metropolitan Home has a better of the beautiful paneling in this room.

The dining table is another Sawaya design and sits under a chandelier by Hani Rashid. The dining chairs are vintage. Below is a detail of a crystal carafe that William Sawaya designed for Baccarat.

I most love the quote from William Sawaya that ends the Metropolitan Home article, "We do not produce design because we have a factory output to consider. We do it for pure passion. A real gourmet will never feed himself only because he is hungry. He will always search for the best he can find, because he is convinced that he deserves it." Amen!

0 comments:

Post a Comment