Home » » Thoroughly Modern Milly

Thoroughly Modern Milly


Michelle Smith, the designer behind the clothing line Milly, has created an an apartment that is just as fun and flirty as her clothes. I love going to Bergdorf Goodman on a Saturday and checking out all the fun dresses in bold patterns and colors and I really loved checking out Michelle's 1920's home in the October 2007 issue of Elle Decor.

It almost seems like a bigger more grown up version of the apartment of Jessie Randall and Brian Murphy of Loeffler Randall. Michelle describes the mood as young and sexy, "like moving into Grandma's apartment and making it modern and whimsical, but still classic." She also said she knew it was the perfect apartment when she realized the Christian Louboutin shop was just across the street. Spoken like a true fashionista!


I love the windows in the living room! What a treat to have so much light in the city! The wonderful brass and crystal chandelier from the 1950's is fantastic and the scale of the furniture and the art is absolutely perfect!

The vintage chairs above are upholstered in a yellow and white zebra-stripe silk by Jim Thompson and flank the marble fireplace topped with a 1940's mirror.


The dining room has no windows but with the reflection of the light on the golden floral wallpaper, Asuka from Osborne & Little, it definitely doesn't look dark or dreary.


It's hard to tell in this photograph, but the hallway wallpaper is David Hicks Hexagon, one of my all time favorites and one that is very popular with the fashionable crowd.


I love the all white kitchen outfitted with subway tiles. It's definitely reminiscent of pre-war apartment kitchens with their butler's pantries but cleaner and more modern. I love art in a kitchen. In fact, I have a little painting above my stove. I say why not?!



The common thread in the apartment is the "unexpected flourish or sparkle." It's something that can be said of her clothing designs as well. So many Milly designs are classic but with a twist, like shiny gold buttons or a fun bold print. I think it's so fun to see how fashion designers translate their design sense at home and it's clear that her experience working at such venerable houses such as Hermes, Dior and Louis Vuitton have made their mark as well. In fact, I think I might like her apartment more than I like her dresses now!

Photos by Roger Davies

0 comments:

Post a Comment